Monday, March 31, 2008

It IS who you know.

There's a song that's been playing on the radio quite a bit lately, and every time I hear it, I find myself more annoyed than inspired. The point of it is to live life to the fullest....which I'm obviously all for. Jesus came that we might have life abundantly. But, the song says that "it's not who you know, it's how you lived...." and I think that is, at the very least, pretty misleading. Knowing Jesus is the ONLY way to Heaven and the key to real, true JOY here on earth. So, while I acknowledge some of the fun ideas here....I kiss my kids every day and would LOVE it if my husband would dance with me....I am still annoyed by their message.

So...I'd love to hear your thoughts! Am I being overly-analytical? Am I just plain wrong?

Point Of Grace - How You Live (Turn Up the Music)

Wake up to the sunlight with your windows open
Don't hold in your anger or leave things unspoken
Wear your red dress
Use your good dishes
Make a big mess and make lots of wishes
Have what you want but want what you have
Hmmmmm
And don't spend your life lookin' back

[Chorus:]
Turn up the music
Turn it up loud
Take a few chances
And let it all out
Cause you won't regret it
Lookin' back from where you have been
Cause it's not who you knew
And it's not what you did
It's how you lived

So go to the ball games
And go to the ballet
Go see your folks more than just on the holidays
Kiss all your children
Dance with your wife
Tell your husband you love him every night
Don't run from the truth cause you can't get away
Oh No...
Just face it and you'll be okay

[Chorus]

[Bridge:]
Ohhhhh
Wherever you are and wherever you been
Now is the time to begin

So give to the needy
And pray for the grieving
Even when you don't think that you can
Cause all that you do is bound to come back to you
So think of your fellow men
Make peace with God but make peace with yourself
Oh yes
Cause in the end there's nobody else

[Chorus]

Cause it's not who you knew and it's not what
You did
It's how you lived

3 comments:

Tami said...

Hey Emiley,

Kevin is completely annoyed by this song too. I think it's too bad there's those few bad lines, because the idea of the song is pretty good. Enjoy life. Relish those you love. But no, you're not alone in your annoyance!

Brenda said...

I think she could have been more clear in the message. But if by who you know she means that no matter how prestigious you place on earth or who on earth you know it doesn't give you eternal gain I would agree. But then she is not clear. I am not too annoyed by anything though so I just make it mean what I want. Thanks to Tami for directing me to you!

Rachelle said...

Hey Emiley, I didn't know you were a blogger. Great to hear from you!